Thursday, June 23, 2011

From Carly - Textiles

You may remember this video that I posted several weeks back, I also played it in a meeting. I have since spoken with the artist who created them and he had this to say:


"I used 3DS Max as the primary software for 3d animation and cloth simulations. Everything was then composited in After Effects where everything was pieced together and color corrected. Textures and the like were created in Photoshop."

I'm not sure if any of our modelers are available to work on this kind of stuff because I know you are all working on several projects but I just thought I should share.

Also I have been in touch with representatives from a company called EAT, they provide software for textile designers that basically communicates instructions to looms. They also provide demos that show a designer what their fabric will look like. This page has a video (click on the 3D textile simulation video, and skip ahead past the slow intro) that demonstrates their programs and demos. While they do not offer actual animation of fabrics in use (to show friction, drapability, etc.) I think that their renderings of fabrics are really realistic and accurate. I especially like how they zoom in to show structures and yarn textures. I received a list of their packages and prices and I have inquired about our specific uses. They have never worked with virtual heritage material in the past but I have been explaining to them that there is actually a market out there for such applications. I think that there is hope here because EAT understands textiles so well. Their website claims:


"EAT’s software packages will cover almost all of the needs occuring when it comes to CAD/CAM for the textile industry. But maybe you have an individual task that is not covered by EAT’s software packages. We also develop custom software tailored to your needs. Whether it is a special function for the existing software that you already have, or in case you need something completely new, starting from scratch...."

Basically they are interested in working with new ideas. An old professor of mine is seeking out training in the yarn info input and fabric simulation aspect of their software and I plan to kind of tag along with her. I'll keep you posted on their interest in our project.

- Carly


No comments:

Post a Comment