Thursday, May 26, 2011

Practical Purpose Simulation and Grave Lots

In response to Carly's previous post: I enjoy the Lascaux cave reproduction, however, the point of view is odd. I feel like my head is hitting the top of the cave and that I'm flying inside of physically walking throughout the site. Also, it feels like the texture isn't quite solid. For Pachacamac, what sort of sight lines will be looking for? Sometimes looking up at a temple or other building can be effective for psychological purposes, but in order to immerse someone the buildings should be to scale and proportion to their bodies. Therefore, how do you make the same experience for each person? I like the floor from New Zealand idea (once again in response to Carly) and would like to look into it further.

My other concern stems from Carly's idea of projection onto or extremely close to artifacts. Objects shouldn't exposed to too much light, and we need to watch out for any possible conservation issues that way arise from their being around multimedia. However, it would be interesting to toy with the idea of have your typical artifacts on a pedestal with a projection or interactive media behind it on the wall. Then the viewer could look at the artifact and the reproduction at the same time instead of having to crane their necks or look elsewhere in the room.

And now for something old. I admire the look and feel of this still image, made digitally of course. It's something that we've been striving for in this project to give the the look and feel of the site being old even during the Late Horizon (Inka period).

Per a conversation this morning I started looking into military training visualization. The ones that I was actually able to access so far look more like a video game than realistic point of view. Military Training Another interesting use for 3D visualization that I came across was companies that have created virtual reality of their buildings and then simulated catastrophe events (fire, earthquake, etc). While both are interesting applications for virtual reality, they look a little gummy and game-like to me.

Weaving videos. It's proving difficult to find a video of a traditional weaver at work on a backstrap loom in high quality. At about the 2:13 mark of this video I found it easy to follow the process the woman was following and distinguish the different elements.

Finally, parts of today were consumed, and will be consumed, with trying to reconstruct grave lots from Pachacamac. This is one of the more vital aspects that the collection will bring to the visualization of this site and that is the aspect of contextualization. While it seems that I've found one pretty good grave lot (lots of variety, hopefully good preservation, interesting artifacts), I would like to find at least two more that are from different areas of the site in order to have a view from different time periods.

- Jeanette

1 comment:

  1. about the Lascaux cave animation, I really liked it too. I understand what u mean about the point of view but I'm not really sure that the flying is such a bad thing. But the camera was oddly set and it seemed like we were flying through random parts of the cave that stuck out. also, i'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I kept wondering what the ground of the cave was made up of. it seemed like we were flying over a lake or body of water at one point. not sure. but maybe that's what you meant by the texture not being quite solid? hehe.

    for the sight line.... I have a small idea to have everybody's experience be the same. I'm not exactly sure what the whole gallery will look like. is it going to be like a tour of the site and people walking from, say, the grave lots to the temple, etc? because if it is, I was thinking of having some sort of vehicle? golf cart? that the 'visitors' sit in and use to tour the site. that way scale and proportion wont be too varied? not sure if it's worth looking into but just a thought :)
    also, if you're looking for having a walking simulation, it's not difficult. last summer I interned at a company doing a project for the DOD and worked with a program called delta 3d (http://www.delta3d.org/). I worked on an animation of different military scenarios and had to have soldiers walking, jogging, etc. or helicoptors flying, hovering, etc. so i suppose we could have a sims like model of visitors walking through the site?

    hope this helps :)
    (sorry for so many very very long comments~ just trying to get more involved since I missed so much!)
    ~yeoni

    ReplyDelete