Tuesday, May 24, 2011

From Carly - 3 random research leads.

First of all I would like to say that it was wonderful to meet everyone yesterday, and I look forward to getting to know you all better. I am very excited to get this project started!

Check out the beginning of this video, I love the idea of bringing a solid 3D object to life, like how this building wiggles and bends. Imagine a typical artifact-on-a-pedestal, that suddenly comes to life. Perhaps a man made tool shown in use.

I spoke with a friend of mine who has a degree in animation, and he lead me to this video, which is a fly-through of the famous Lascaux caves in France. He is not sure what was used to create it (perhaps autocad?), does anyone know how we could figure out what was used? I think the texture of the caves is rendered beautifully.

As an undergrad I studied abroad in New Zealand and visited the national museum, Te Papa, several times. This is an exhibit that really grabbed my attention every time I visited. The floor of the exhibit is an interactive map of the country, when a person steps on a trigger (geographical point of interest), a lighted path leads to a short informative video on a nearby wall (check out the little video on the right side of the page). I really think they are on to something cool here but I must admit it was always a little chaotic and hard to focus in that gallery.

I'd love to hear some feedback on any of these!

- Carly

2 comments:

  1. To follow up on the interactive floor map from the NZ museum, the following is a product we might want to look into:

    http://www.gesturetek.com/gesturefx/productsolutions_groundfx.php

    and this is an interactive wall from the same company:

    http://www.gesturetek.com/gesturefx/productsolutions_wallfx.php

    (I guess I can't make active links in a comment?)

    The floor idea reminds me of what Clark suggested about showing dig holes from the archaeological site, where a viewer can look down into a hole and see a gravelot.

    - Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.... the youtube video is really cool. I'm still not really sure I understand how they did it because it's not a projection right? In any case, it's really cool (the green eye thing? a bit creepy... but the dancing dudes make up for it haha)

    as for the french video, I looked under credits to see if they listed who did the actual animation work and they have two people listed under 3D modeling. I tried to google them and find contact info but couldn't find anything. Instead, the site has this company, Laforme New Media, listed under the graphic design, etc. section. I'm not sure if that means they worked on the animation or not (?) but I sent them an email (in my terrible high school french grammar) to see if they know, or can reference me to someone who might know, what program was used on the animation. I'm doubtful they can help but their website was pretty cool so maybe?

    I'll keep y'all posted :)
    ~yeoni

    ReplyDelete